You’ve probably heard a story or two about how people got into trouble for something they posted on Facebook, right?
I once read a story about how somebody got fired from their job because of something bad they said about their boss on Facebook, forgetting that the boss was one of their Facebook friends! To make it all more embarrassing, the boss fired the person in a comment on the post!
Sometimes we come across something fun that we’d like to share with some of our Facebook friends, but not with all of them.
So how do you go about posting something to only a few of your Facebook friends?
Well, it turns out that it is quite easy to do. Here’s how…
Step 1: Create A List Of Friends
Facebook allows you to post only to certain individual friends, but it could become quite cumbersome if you want to post regularly to the same sub-set of Facebook friends. The solution is to create a Facebook List of friends that you will be posting to:
- Go to your Facebook and click on the Home link near the top-center of the page. That takes you to your News Feed where you see all your friends’ posts.
- On the left, below your photo, are groups of links, each with a heading, with one of the headings being Friends. (In my case it’s the 4th item down.) Click on that.
- The next page will have a button labeled “+ Create List” near the top-center. Click on that.
- A box will now open where you can enter a name for your list and select as many of your Facebook friends who will be members of the list. Enter a name, select your friends, and click on Create List.
Your pre-defined, special-purpose friends list is now created.
To edit a particular list later, after step 2 above, click on the name of the list. Then click on “Manage List” in the top right-hand corner, and select Edit List. A new box will pop up where you can edit the members of the list.
Step 2: Post To The List
Now all you do is enter your Facebook post, but before sending it, you edit your sharing options and select the list that you created in step 1:
- Enter your Facebook post.
- To the left of the Share button (that would send your post), is an image of a lock, with a small down-arrow next to it. Those are your sharing options. Click on the down-arrow.
- The 4th option in the drop-down menu is Customize. Click that.
- A box will now open where you can set the privacy of your message.
- In the section labeled “Make this visible to” is a drop-down box with the selected option being “Friends Only”. Click on that drop-down box and select “Specific People…”
- A text box will be shown below the drop-down box where you can enter the names of your friends that your post is intended for. Enter the name of the list that your created in step 1. Then click on Save Setting.
- Click the Share button to send your post to the Walls for your selected friends.
To summarize, to post to a selected group of Facebook friends, create a Facebook list containing your friends and then post to the list. It’s as easy as that!